When you are stressed, it causes a reaction that occurs in the body. Some of these changes can have negative effects on the body. Everyone experiences stress, as it occurs whenever there is a challenge.
The thing about stress is that it can be a good or bad thing. It is what helps us react to change and be able to adjust to those changes.
Think of mentally preparing yourself to go to work 2 hours earlier than your regular shift to finish a project. You know that you will be very tired and it will be a long day, but you have to get your project finished.
So you prepare yourself in advance to handle and get through the long day ahead.
Stress can become bad if it continues without any breaks. You are constantly adjusting to change, which can cause wear and tear on your body.
Sometimes you can be stressed and not even realize it, but you are wondering why you haven’t been feeling well lately.
When you are stressed, it can be the cause of certain body symptoms that you are having:
– Stress causes muscles to tense up, and when you are stressed for a long period of time, those muscles stay tight. Headaches can be associated with tension in the neck, shoulder, and head.
Male Reproductive Organs
– Over time if a male is stressed, it can start to affect his libido. He is too worried about whatever is stressing him out that he can’t think about or focus on sex with his partner.
According to Healthline, it can even cause erectile dysfunction because of the lack of being able to produce testosterone during this time.
Rapid Breathing or shortness of breath
– The airway gets smaller when you are stressed, causing you to breathe quicker. This is because your body is working harder to get oxygen in and carbon dioxide out.
Constant rapid breathing can lead to panic attacks, as you are struggling to catch your breath for a period of time.
Diarrhea or other abdominal discomforts
– The stomach and the brain work close together. You ever get nervous and all of a sudden have to go to the restroom? That is your brain communicating with your stomach, causing it to react.
When you are stressed, this communication can keep causing bad reactions. You might get bloated, have stomach cramps, or even get diarrhea.
– Women can experience a change in their menstrual cycles or not even have one at all when they are stressed. Your body is doing so much work elsewhere that your menstrual cycle is pushed aside.
Try these Relaxation Techniques for Stress Relief
– Listening to soothing music can help take your mind off of what’s bothering you. Go to a quiet area and just relax while listening to soft and soothing music. It will bring you out of the bit of funk that you are in.
– Breathing exercises help to slow your breathing down which in turn calms your body. Practice breathing in through your nose and out through your mouth for 5 minutes. As you exhale, feel the tension leaving your body while you become more relaxed.
– Guided Meditation is great when trying to relieve stress. You can find tons of youtube videos if you don’t know where to look. Meditation helps you to be more present and conscious in the moment to release those negative feelings.
– Soak in a warm bath to relax the mind and body. The warm water soothes the tense muscles, helping to loosen them up. It also relaxes the mind as it feels good to just soak and wash away those feelings.
You can check out Ways To Fix Being Grumpy for more mood-lightening techniques when you just feel like you’ve had enough. It might take some time to get used to doing a technique if you haven’t tried them before.
However, the more you practice them, the more you will notice how relaxed you become each time. Being conscious of when you are stressed can help you to alleviate it sooner than later.
I’ve had some of these symptoms, not really sure if they were relating to my stress or not but this is useful to know. I’ve been trying to take at least a bath a week to try to distress but I think I’m going to try the meditation thing. it couldn’t hurt. Thanks for sharing your tips! love your site BTW
Thank you so much! Yes, stress can be the cause of so many issues with the body, sometimes we don’t even notice! Practicing relaxation methods can help with this and even put you in a better mood. Meditation definitely helps to calm the mind; it helps to remove that negative thinking for sure. Thank you for reading.